Monday, May 2, 2011

Did it really make a difference?

For 12 hours, I've been listening to the news reports, watching Facebook posts and listening to different people voice their opinion on the death of Osama Bin Laden. At first, I thought there must be something wrong with me. I wasn't elated. I didn't really feel anything. Ok. He's dead. But terrorism isn't dead. His followers are not dead. It doesn't bring back the over 3000 American's who lost their lives. Closure for those families will probably never truly come. After such horrific loss and the nature of the attacks that day, how do you ever "get over it"?

My concern is for the Americans who find such joy in the death of this soul.
Is it really happiness, joy at his demise? Do we not realize that in all likelihood this man will spend eternity in hell? Yes, it is his just deserve. But is it not ours as well? BUT for the blood of Jesus, that same fate would be ours.
The war that started to many of us on September 11, 2001, really started thousands of years ago. The fall of man in the garden is when this war started.
Ephesians 6:12 says for we wrestle not against flesh and blood but against principalities and against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Bin Laden, Castro, Hitler, Saddam Hussein, Gadhafi, these are all people who are ruled by spiritual wickedness, the powers of darkness. When a man's goal is the destruction of others there is a disconnection somewhere in the soul. As a Christ follower, my mind cannot comprehend that.
Do you know anyone who has been to war and came home changed? The things that had happened to them, the things they were required to do had changed them forever. Have you seen how once dedicated Christian men come home from war scarred to the point that you don't recognize your brother, nephew, son? They have seen evil. They have stared it in the face. They have been asked to do the same kinds of things that men like Bin Laden did in the name of religion, our soldiers have been asked to do in the name of freedom. But that doesn't make it any easier on a man or woman whose heart is turned toward Christ. They are forever changed because in their spirit man, they know this is not the way mankind was created to behave towards one another.
The only difference between these terrorist leaders and you and I is that we have Jesus.
God created man. Period. It was not His desire that any man perish, but because of our free will, because of man's fall, men like Bin Laden will continue to rise to power until Christ comes back the final time to rule and reign!
Did Osama Bin Laden dying affect my life in any way? No. Did it affect yours? Probably not.
The death that had profound affect on my life is the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ! It gave me the hope of life eternal when I received Christ as my Lord and Savior.
We are not to gloat or boast when our enemies fall (Prov. 24:17) We are to only boast of the things that HE has done. Proverbs 24:20 says there will be no reward to the evil man. The candle of the wicked will be put out.
Bin Laden's candle may be out, but the light of wickedness in this world is still burning bright.
Our job is to watch and pray. Be diligent in our faith. Praying for our leaders, our brothers and sisters in the fight. Praying for the lost. Even the Bin Laden's of this world.
Don't boast in the fall of Bin Laden but rather in the Lord our God!

Psalm 34:2 My soul shall make her boast in the Lord!

2 comments:

  1. Well said my friend ! Thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree with every word you blogged! I facebooked ALOT last night, but none of my post were positive or negative against Osama himself. I don't know if he accepted Jesus before his death and that is horrible if not. But I hope he did. I'm not sad or elated at his death. Everyone thinks the world is a safer place now.....really? Safer? Hmmmm......
    I LOVE the name of your blog, Reflections After Seasons. As of today, I am reflecting the season I am stepping out of. Looking forward to the new one.
    Thank you my friend. Thank you!
    Much love!
    ~Kimberly

    ReplyDelete